Tampa PPP Loan Fraud/CARES Act Fraud Lawyer
At Scriven Law, P.A., our Tampa PPP loan fraud defense attorney is an experienced, aggressive advocate for clients. If you or your family member is facing criminal charges for allegedly defrauding the Payroll Protection Program (PPP), we are more than ready to help. To set up a strictly confidential, no obligation initial consultation with a top-rated Florida fraud defense lawyer, please call our Tampa PPP loan fraud/CARES Act fraud lawyer at Scriven Law, P.A today.
The CARES Act and PPP Loans: Explained
In March of 2020, the United States congress passed the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (CARES Act) into law. One of the primary provisions of the CARES Act created the Payroll Protection Program (PPP). Administered by the Small Business Administration (SBA), the program provides forgivable loans to qualifying small and mid-sized businesses. Notably, the PPP loan program was re-opened with another round of funding in January of 2021.
An Overview of PPP Loan Fraud/CARES Act Fraud Charges
There are strict rules and regulations governing who can obtain PPP funds and how the money can be used. On March 26th, 2021, the United States Department of Justice (DOJ) announced that it is taking more aggressive action against CARES Act fraud/PPP loan fraud. Business owners or entrepreneurs accused of fraud could face very serious criminal charges. Depending on the circumstances, PPP loan fraud charges can come in several different forms, including:
- Making of false statements to the Small Business Administration. Under 15 U.S.C. § 645, this offense is punishable by $5,000 fine and up to two years in prison.
- Conspiracy to defraud the federal government. Under 18 U.S.C. § 371, this offense is subject to significant financial penalties and up to five years in prison.
- Identity theft. Under 18 U.S.C. § 1028A, a defendant found guilty of aggravated identity theft could face up to two years in prison.
You Can Rely On Our Florida White Collar Crime Lawyer
Facing federal fraud charges is deeply stressful. At Scriven Law, P.A., we will protect your rights. Your problem is our practice. Bryant A. Scriven is a criminal defense lawyer with nearly two decades of legal experience. When you reach out to our firm, you will have an opportunity to consult with a Tampa white collar criminal defense attorney who will:
- Conduct a comprehensive, confidential review of the case;
- Explain PPP loan/CARES Act fraud charges;
- Gather and organize all relevant financial documents and records; and
- Devise a personalized legal strategy focused on your freedom and your future.
Call Our Tampa, FL PPP Loan Fraud Defense Lawyer Today
At Scriven Law, P.A., our Florida white collar defense attorney has the skills and expertise to defend the full range of CARES Act fraud claims. Call us at 813-226-8522 or send us a message to set up a completely confidential initial consultation. With an office in Tampa, we handle PPP/CARES Act fraud charges throughout Central and Southern Florida, including in Hillsborough County, Pinellas County, Polk County, Manatee County, and Sarasota County.